Monday, July 27, 2009

Alice in Wonderland: Cut!

As of writing this, all pieces for the outfit have been cut out. Actually, they were cut out hours ago, but I didn't have a chance to update when I finished.

The apron was a particular challenge and we are excited to see how it turns out. So far, it looks adorable!

Tomorrow, we plan to start the sewing process. My husband says he could get the outfit stitched together by the end of the week, but I would prefer us to work together. My concern is also that it would add a lot of unnecessary stress for him, given that he also takes care of our son during the day and he would very likely let the apartment chores sit when they really shouldn't. I also have to admit that I'm a bit of a knit-picker when it comes to my projects. I want to be sure that it turns out right... by my own standards. Hence why I was the person doing most of the cutting and figure work, looking to my honey when I needed second opinions. Of course, that's a huge help in my world.

We do see this outfit being done well before my personal deadline, which is exactly what I'm hoping. :-)

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Alice In Wonderland: Quick Pre-Cut Update

Our work area is clean. Material is ready to be laid out. Patterns chosen. Baby napping.

Pattern lay-out and material cutting will begin shortly. :-)

Update 8:49pm: Bloomers are cut.

Update 10:14pm: Petticoat and ruffle are cut. Time to take a break and have dinner. Measuring and cutting are usually the most difficult and time consuming part of sewing projects. Not always, but usually.

Update 11:07pm: Decided to continue tomorrow. Don't want to start the next parts and get home uber late or make silly mistakes. Our plan is to get the dress and apron cut tomorrow and hopefully start pinning the pieces together as well. We are right on schedule, so this is coolsville.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Alice In Wonderland Update: Prepping

At this point, the fabrics are preshrunk, which means that any possible shrinkage after the item is stitched together should be minimal.

After ironing the cloth, it will be ready for us to lay out the pattern pieces and start cutting. My friend sent her daughter's measurements, which we need to compare to the different patterns we are going to be using as reference, tweaking where necessary.

The hardest part of this project is time. Fortunately, the deadline is a ways off. My friend said she needs the outfit by early September, but our goal (my husband's and mine) is to get the outfit done and sent by mid August. This goal should be fine, even with a toddler underfoot, especially with the joint efforts of my hubby and me.

I do owe my friend the material totals, which we will be sending soon. Shipping costs would have to wait until the dress is done so I can weigh it properly (with the box and shipping materials).

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Intro and Alice in Wonderland project

It's about time to start this blog, having reserved the name for a time.

This first entry is for the daughter of an online friend. They are going to Disney World and her youngest daughter wants to dress up as Alice. The due date is early to mid September, but I'm hoping to get it done earlier, if for no other reason than to have time for any adjustments that might be necessary.

Here you see the sketch of the dress after carefully watching Alice in Wonderland. Later, I saved a goodly number of stills from the movie, and have noted a few changes I want to make, though I don't think a new sketch is necessary.

Some of the changes are that the petticoat has a ruffle (as seen in the flower garden scene and the apron's back is not perfectly rounded but is more oblong (the back hangs a little lower, giving an oblong appearance). My friend's daughter also specified that she does not want pockets (which only shows up in two scenes of the movie, but would seriously change the look of the apron from what people are accustomed to). I hope to post some of the still as I continue work on the items, to show a proper comparison between the item and the image.

Here are the materials I gathered for this. Two thicknesses of white 100% cotton cloth (bleached muslin) for the petticoat, bloomers, and apron. Blue 100% cotton broadcloth in the closest blue I could find to the images I printed out. An "invisible zipper" for the back and thread in the closest tones I could find at the time(though I might see if I can find a closer match of the thread to the cloth if this one doesn't suit my standards). The blue of the print-out looks lighter because the flash of my camera is reflected more off the paper than it is off the fabric.

These are the patterns I will be using as reference for the dress and the bloomers, though I will have to come up with my own pattern for the apron, given its unique design.