Monday, November 23, 2009

Steampunk Harley Quinn: Sketched

As my previous post said, "On a moment of divine inspiration (and after enjoying my harlequin outfit so immensely), I decided to do a scrapper steampunk-ish version of 'Harley Quinn' from the Batman cartoons." My husband and I thought that it would make sense for Harley and the Joker to get dressed up to enjoy some Wicked (Festival) fun at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party.

I sketched out a few ideas and this is the result of several attempts and alterations. I wanted something that captured the feel of Harley Quinn, sexy but without losing the extremely cute and naive feel, while being more Victorian or steampunk in nature.

Main Outfit:
Fitted long overcoat; Halter or sleeveless top; High-waisted bloomers (as the pants) with ruffled bottoms and short suspenders or straps (as part of the bloomers) to hold them up.

Accessories:
Diamond shaped fake 'tattoos' to be applied to the skin; Lace pieces to be applied to skin for the mask; Mini-jester hat with white pom-poms; Four-sided 'cravat' consisting of three layers of ruffle on each 'flap'; Gloves with attached ruffles; Appropriate shoes or shoe covers; bi-colored stockings, tights, leggings, or long socks.

Any other accessories will be added later, if desired or necessary and time allows.

My husband's outfit will likely be much more a "dapper" style outfit, which will counter my scrapper style well, me thinks. I'm not really sure if he's finished his sketch yet.

The downside to having the sketch done is that I want to start work on the outfit, but really shouldn't unless I do it in small pieces at a time. I need to work on my Victorian Mourning Outfit some more, and I am already getting inspiration on the next part to make on that project.

No comments: